Should a project labeled “thesis” that is submitted for a doctoral degree in the United Kingdom be referred to as a PhD thesis or a PhD dissertation in my works-cited list?

In the United States, the written project submitted by a candidate for a doctoral degree is called a dissertation. In the United Kingdom, it is often called a thesis. The name of the degree itself also varies in the UK. Some schools call it a PhD, but some call it a DPhil. You should determine how to refer to the project by looking at the document itself. It will probably have a title page that provides the terms you need. The example that follows shows how to cite a thesis submitted for a DPhil at Oxford University:

Woudhuysen, H. R. “Leicester’s Literary Patronage: A Study of the English Court, 1578–1582.” 1981. Oxford U, DPhil thesis. Oxford University Research Archive, PDF download.

Published 14 February 2020

Get MLA Style News from The Source

Be the first to read new posts and updates about MLA style.

The Source Sign-up - Style Center Footer