Some words are consistently confused with other words. When speakers and writers consistently choose the wrong word, it may eventually replace the correct one in the general lexicon. Some experts argue that this is how language evolves. Such an approach to language is called descriptive because it seeks to describe the way speakers use a language. Another approach, called prescriptive, asserts that maintaining distinction in meaning is important because it gives writers more robust tools to communicate. Channel your inner prescriptivist and take our quiz on some commonly confused words—that is, before their meanings change.